BIG BEAR LAKE, CALIF/November 16, 2015 – Thanksgiving is a time for love, friendship, sharing – and busy kitchens. Big Bear Fire Department reminds everyone that crowded kitchens and busy cooks can lead to serious burns and tragic fires.
“Thanksgiving is the leading day of the year for home fires involving cooking equipment,” according to the National Fire Protection Association. “Have activities that keep kids out of the kitchen during this busy time.” Here are some additional tips to avoid dangerous incidents:
- Clean ovens and stovetops thoroughly before this marathon cooking day so that built-up grease cannot ignite.
- Do not leave cooking food unattended on the stove and do not cook overnight.
- Keep pets out of the kitchen.
- Keep the kitchen floor clear so you don’t trip over anything.
- Be sure pot handles are facing away from the front of the stove and that appliance cords are safely out of the way.
- Ensure knives, matches, and utility lighters are out of reach of children.
- Keep a fire extinguisher handy and know how to use it.
- Make sure smoke alarms are working.
Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving holiday.
For additional information on this or other fire and life safety topics, contact Big Bear Fire Department at www.bigbearfire.org or (909) 866-7566.